Friday, November 5, 2010

Why people eat vegetables

By Nikki

I was browsing the New York Times and eating a bowl of cereal when I came across this article: Even Benefits Don't Tempt Us to Vegetables. It reminded me of two things: 1.) That I hadn't eaten a single serving all day, and 2.) That this blog's inspiration asked me a related question last weekend. The question was something like, "Why do people eat vegetables?" I couldn't come up with a good answer. I eat them sometimes because I like them and they don't make me feel guilty. Turns out there's more to it, as this article explains.


They reduce cholesterol, prevent kidney failure, stave off high blood pressure, fight premature cell aging, help prevent infections, prostate and other cancers, cataracts, AND constipation. They also take up space in your stomach that might otherwise be occupied by fries.

This follow-up story gives tips on how to cook them. My favorite paragraph:

"Even the most reluctant consumer of vegetables can handle them if they are grated or puréed and hidden in stews, soups, pasta sauces, loaves, quick breads and muffins."

I'm thinking apple broccoli muffins. With maple glaze. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment